Commonsense Childbirth School of Midwifery (CCSM) was developed around principles that have driven midwifery practice worldwide: trust, respect, and necessity.
However, in the United States, midwives are faced with the challenge of not being seen as the optimum choice in providing maternity care, despite proven excellent outcomes.
CCSM is committed to fostering a community of diverse midwives to combat this false narrative and help all people to take back having “their birth their way”.
CCSM provides quality, practical, culturally-sensitive training and education that is integral to maternity health care systems by:
- assembling a training and education program that forms a measurable and competitive advantage for the midwife while promoting growth in women’s health care delivery;
- providing authentic personal and professional development with clear career paths — a strong magnet which attracts top-quality students;
- elevating the profession’s profile through robust competency training;
- ensuring that competency training has the lowest cost structure possible;
- providing genuine engagement and access to our programs for all communities and,
- educating and empowering students on the Midwifery Model of Care so they will, in turn, provide access, create connections, share knowledge, and empower birthing people and families to have “their birth, their way”.
Data supports the safety and efficacy of the midwifery model of care. America needs an urgent change in its maternity healthcare delivery system in order to address challenges of rising medical interventions, cesarean sections and healthcare costs, and high infant and maternal mortality rates. CCSM stands for that change – ‘getting to the heart of the matter’ one mother, one baby, one family at a time.
Thank you for joining us, and welcome!
Jennie Joseph LM, CPM, Director
Choose Your Path
Your journey to midwifery begins with finding the program that best aligns with your purpose and needs.
At CCSM, we’ve structured our racially congruent and culturally sensitive programs to be rigorous in nature so our students are prepared to become leaders in the maternal health field, as well as in their communities.
All of CCSM’s programs are built and founded on The JJ Way® four tenants;
Access | Connection
Knowledge | Empowerment
We envision a maternity care climate saturated with culturally sensitive and racially congruent care that results in equitable and superior outcomes in maternal and infant health for all populations.
We seek to reach as many individuals as we can because there is no time to lose. We are in the business of saving lives. In order to achieve our vision, we seek to open a pathway for midwives of color to again become autonomous community providers, to address and redress the historical, structural, and institutional inequities that continue to decimate Black and indigenous people, and to restore trusted birth workers to the heart of their communities once again.
LOCATION & FACILITIES
The Commonsense Childbirth School of Midwifery (CCSM) is located near downtown Winter Garden:
Winter Garden Executive Center
213 S. Dillard Street
Winter Garden, Florida 34787
The school is approximately 800 square feet of space consisting of a library, a classroom, office, kitchen and eating area.
It is located inside ‘The Birth Place’ Birth Center which has two birth suites, nurse and provider support areas, family waiting areas, and four exam rooms. Sharing our school with The Birth Place space means that students will quickly become familiar with the different facets of midwifery so as to optimize learning opportunities.